Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - But It's On

Alright, so day one - DONE!  Like exactly 4,612,923 people on the planet have completed the P90x program, so my blog posts wont be some revolutionary thing - like the first people on Mars reporting about the climate or anything, but here are my honest thoughts on day 1.

First of all, I am doing the Classic P90x program.  You can do 3 versions...classic, doubles (if you want more cardio) or lean (if you want less bulk - but honestly I'm not worried about bulk, I want the challenge so I skipped this one altogether).

The very first program you get into is Chest and Back.  And dude, Tony Horton went THERE. Straight to the push-ups.  Like 8 varieties of nonstop push-ups.  I have to say that push-ups are right up there with burpees as my least favorite exercise on the planet (Earth, not Mars...but probably Mars too if I ever get there.  Future blog idea....).  Between those and the pull-ups (which I modified with an exercise band), I was WEAK.  Like by the end my arms felt numb and I was cautiously modifying my sets as to not injure myself.  I was pretty sure I was going to fall on my face at the end of the decline push-ups where you prop your legs up on the chair for maximum effect.  But I stuck through.  Even with modification on my knees I gritted through to the end.  I wanted to give you guys a visual of what my arms and back feel like right now, and I am so owning my "thirtysomethingness" with this comparison - a toy from my childhood, Stretch Armstrong.  I'm seriously jelly arms right now.  I drank a nice little protein shake, so hopefully I can get these muscles on their way to recovery stat.


So, when you finish Chest and Back you follow it up with this nice little 16 minute Ab Ripper X.  And as much as I need work on the abs, I have to say that I love a good ab workout.  It usually hurts SO GOOD.  But Tony doesn't mess around.  From the onset, it's like the fires of Hell descend upon your abdomen.  But .....in a good way????

I got through most of Ab Ripper X, and even though it was hard I liked it.  You add this in I think 3 times a week so I am looking forward to this little addition of pain to top off my workouts.  That sounds so wrong, I know.

Okay, so that's my commentary for the day.  Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of your life with me :).  More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment